About Common To Moms

There are many common life experiences we share as women, and sometimes life is less than glorious. That’s when we need a little inspiration to get us through the day. Welcome to Common to Moms, where we find motivation for meaningful living on our every-day journey as women, wives and mothers.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Preparing for twins continued...

A little while back I wrote this post about how my head was spinning a little trying to figure out how life is going to work when we have newborn twins, a special needs infant and a toddler.

I thought I would share how we're doing tackling the list I made of things left to do to prepare for Baby Boy and Baby Girl's arrival.  Here goes...

1. Plan an overnight for Christian and me away from the kids and chaos of life.
This idea has officially been nixed... by me... Somewhere around two days after I wrote this down, I began to feel so big that I wouldn't have been able to enjoy a week-end away if I wanted to. However, I did spend two days in bed last week-end from being sick while Christian took care of the kids.  In an odd way, laying in bed felt really good to my super-pregnant body.  We will have to do a special trip for the two of us another time when I can enjoy it more.  We will be having the baby go overnight away soon though, so Christian and I get a little extra rest before the twins come.

  2. Clean out the clutter from our house and make room for two more babies.
This is a work in progress, but I do feel like progress is being made.  So far Christian and his brother moved all of the big pieces of furniture we don't have room for anymore out of the house, general housework is being kept up with and just this morning, I sat down in our future playroom and spent an hour organzing things to go to the attic, to toss or to give away.  It is taking time, but we will get there.  My parents are also coming this week-end, so I look forward to having their extra hands around to make even greater progress toward getting the playroom and baby room ready.

  3. Tie up as many loose ends as possible before babies get here.
This one is hard.  I have loose ends hanging all around (it feels like).  Things to do for me, for the dance studio, for my business, for the kids doctor's appointments, for the twins... I am definitely trying to stay on top of things, but being tired ALL the time makes it difficult.  I will keep plugging along here.

  4. Pack a hospital bag and solidify plans for our kids in case of early delivery.
I am pretty sure we have a plan and a back-up plan for where our kids will be during delivery.  But I have still not packed anyone's bags... I feel like it's one of those things that still hangs in the loose ends category.   Gotta get on this one... It's kind of important!!

  5. Pre-register for birth at the hospital and sign up for birthing classes, making sure I know the hospitals policies about twin birth since I want to do it naturally.
I finally made the call yesterday to set up my pre-registration appointment at the hospital.  I have decided against birthing classes since a) we have a lot on our plate already and b) I still remember vividly a lot that we learned there and we have pretty much run out of time to sign up.  

And that's how we're doing getting ready for the twins to grace us with their grand entry into the world... We still have lots of things to order for the nursery (and 2nd crib, a dresser, etc) but like I said, we are slowly getting there.  I know that we are running out of time, but I also can still only move so fast!  I told my brother-in-law the other day that I feel like a manitee out of water... I wish I was kidding... 

But we are getting lots of help from friends and from a new part-time nanny/housekeeper that I have hired and so I have lots of faith that we will get everything ready in time.  

So here is the updated list of what we still have left to do...
1.  Clean out the clutter from our house and order what we still need for two more babies.
2. Tie up as many loose ends as possible before the twins get here.
3. Pack a hospital bag for myself and one for each of the kids.
4. Type a general birth plan for my pre-registration meeting at the hospital.

One step at a time!

Love,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment